Sunday, December 12, 2010

Paper, paper, paper

I just got a new job as marketing coordinator at Finch Paper LLC., an integrated paper mill in Glens Falls, NY, that makes high-quality, uncoated white paper.

In my first two weeks I have been overloading my brain with information about the paper business and the technology involved -- and adjusting to the leap from newspaper journalism into the marketing world. My job involves a lot of writing for and editing our website and blogs, as well as promotional materials, spec sheets, and any other text-heavy projects in the works.

One of the things I love about the new job is that graphic designers are an important demographic that we work with on a daily basis, trumped only by the merchants and commercial printers that buy our paper by the ton. Therefore, I am surrounded by great print design each day, fueling what is becoming a print addiction.

Now, before I started this job, I was always one who would say "save a tree, send an email." Well, our head forester at Finch Paper, one of the most respected in his field, has totally changed my perspective. He contends that cutting down trees is not only OK, but that sustainable forestry is needed to ensure the long-term health of forests. It's a really interesting topic that you can read more about here. (Shameless plug: All of Finch's papers are Sustainable Forestry Initiative and FSC-certified).

If you're a designer, it's likely that you or someone you know has used Finch Paper for a print campaign in the past. It's an affordable option to bigger paper companies and -- because it's an integrated mill and more agile in that respect -- it can ensure great customer service. But I I won't use my blog to promote Finch too much, I guess there's just something really satisfying about promoting print for a living. It's tangible, personal and renewable.

So check out Finch Paper's blog, In The House. It highlights design projects printed on Finch Paper and other innovations in the design world. While you're at it, check out For Print Only (FPO), a great blog that highlights the best printed projects out there. A true inspiration for designers and proof that print is far from "dead".

"I used to write letters, I used to sign my name ... I hope that something pure can last." -- Arcade Fire

No comments:

Post a Comment