Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Social Shredding


I had to share this new social gaming app I stumbled on. Following in the footsteps of Foursquare and Facebook Places, Vail Resorts introduced the Epic Pass.

With Epic Pass, Vail Resorts (including Vail, Keystone, Breck, Heavenly, Beaver Creek) enables skiers and riders to track their activity on the mountain and gain points and badges for number of days skied, runs in a day, being first on the mountain and more -- all tracked by a microchip inside the pass itself (you don't even need a mobile phone or GPS because the pass does the work for you). Then, you can share your accomplishments with other Epic passholders on Facebook (and iPad/iPhone via the Epic Pass app). Too bad I don't live near Vail, or else I'd jump on the Epic Pass (Shaun White's in, dog!). Especially for a mere $650! Not bad ...

I never pictured the day when social media and the outdoors would coexist. But it may be upon us.

I wonder if you get points for being first in the bar at the end of the day?

- J

No comments:

Post a Comment