Thursday, December 27, 2012

2012: An Eventful Year

It's been a while since I checked in with the world. How the hell are ya?

I thought I'd give a rundown of what's new in my life, beginning with the most significant event:

1. I'm engaged

... Thank you. She's a great girl, and I'm honored that someone so kind and beautiful would take me in and give me her heart. We'll live a long, healthy, happy life together. I proposed to her on Christmas Eve, at our favorite cafe, and at the table where we had our first date.



So it's been an exciting few days and, having crossed this major bridge with Casey, I feel renewed focus and creative energy. Which brings me to my next endeavor:

2. Geet-ar Playin. 

After delving deep into the singer-songwriter world, I'm beginning to pen some new songs. I'll be updating my Soundcloud stream often, so please check it out every so often. After a busy year in 2012 with solo gigs, I'll once again take my blend of originals and covers" on the "road" (more like on the town) with solo gigs in 2013. I'm always looking to play with other musicians, and a band is certainly not out of the question; it's just a matter of timing for me and some friends.

Here's my new business card I designed and printed through Vistaprint ... not very exciting, but feel free to pass the info along to anyone you know looking for live acoustic music.

3. In Heavy Rotation: 

Mumford and Sons
Arcade Fire
Deer Tick
The stalwarts: Phish, Grateful Dead, Umphrey's McGee
Newgrass/jamgrass: Infamous Stringdusters, Trampled By Turtles, Old Crow Medicine Show, Hot Day At The Zoo
John Prine
Black Keys
Gary Clark Jr.
Robert Johnson
Lightin' Hopkins
Assembly of Dust
Dawes
Cool bands I'm getting into: Dead Feather Moon, Gary Clark Jr., the xx
And many more. Send me some of your favs!


4. Top Concerts of 2012:
It was a year of many weddings, but when I found time and money, I caught some great music. No arena rock for me, mainly small venues:

1. Deer Tick @ Putnam Den in Saratoga Springs, NY
2. Dr. Dog @Upstate Concert Hall in Clifton Park, NY
3. The Felice Brothers @ Gillian's in Albany, NY
4. Yonder Mountain w/ The Infamous Stringdusters @Upstate Concert Hall in Clifton Park, NY
5. Ryan Montbleau @ Putnam Den
6. moe. @Palace Theater
7. Wild Adriatic and Formula 5 @Shepard's Park in Lake George, NY (Free Show/Local Acts)


So that's about it. My New Year's resolutions are to get healthier and enjoy the outdoors with my fiancee and our awesome pooch. Let's face it, 2012 was a sad year for many reasons: natural disasters, mass shootings, etc. If there's one thing I learned in 2012, it's that life is too short and we need to make our own opportunities to be happy, and make the most of them. 

Let's spread positivity and end the madness. Let's talk with our leaders and push for positive change. Let's work across the aisle to pass meaningful legislation. Let's share the wealth and create jobs. Let's help small business owners, and still make the wealthiest pay more taxes, lol! 

Here's to health and happiness in 2013. 

Cheers,

John 



No comments:

Post a Comment