Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Dr. Dog update

Dr. Dog plays Rev Hall in Februrary

Of all the bands at Mountain Jam this year, Dr. Dog was one I was really looking forward to. I cozied right up to stage 2 while Grace Potter and the Nocturnals were playing the main stage. It was early afternoon on Friday, I had a few pops, and I was ready to rock with the Dog. Unfortunately (for me), Toots and the Mayhals took the stage. I was utterly confused.

I later learned Dr. Dog had to cancel their performance because one of the band member's in Dr. Dog, rhythym guitarist/psychic explorer Frank McElroy, was sick or in the hospital (I heard he was having open heart surgery, but someone might have confused him with Simone Felice of the Felice Brothers, who is now fully recovered and rocking).

The band released the following message in regards to Mountain Jam:

Hey Folks,
We’re writing with some unfortunate news. The story ends with us saying that we will not be playing our scheduled show at Mountain Jam this afternoon. Zach spent most of yesterday in the hospital with a medical issue. We had hoped that he’d begin feeling better as the day went by and that didn’t end up happening. The good news is that Zach is going to be just fine… we’re just not quite sure how long it will take until he can play a show again.


Later in the week, Frank addressed the issue himself, writing:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your kind words, I’m making some progress. I have simple viral infection and I’ve had to just sweat it away here at home. It’s been pretty exciting. I think I’ll be feeling well enough to make it to Bonarroo, and I’m very much looking forward to playing and feeling normal again.

Thanks again to everyone who called or wrote, I really appreciate it.

Love, Zach

I heard they rocked at Bonnaroo. The setlist (courtesy of the milk carton):

Stranger, I Only Wear Blue,The Old Days, Jackie Wants a Black Eye, Army of Ancients, Mirror, Mirror, The Ark, Unbearable Why, MyFriend, Station, Shadow People, Fate,, The Breeze, Where’d All the Time Go, Hang On, Later, The Way the Lazy Do, The Rabbit, The Bat, and the Reindeer.

Dr. Dog will spend the rest of the summer playing music festivals, some out west (High Sierra, Pickathon), and will make some stops on the east coast (the inagural? Life's Good Festival on Sept. 11 in Canton, Mass. and a free show on Governor's Island in NYC on Aug. 15).

Welcome back Frank!

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment