Monday, June 28, 2010

Hopscotch, not just a cardiovascular game for kids

By Shanna Farrell
cas:ev contributor

Though I’ve been to a recent Lollapalooza and had a great time, I’m not a huge fan of big music festivals. I find them stressful, hot, and anxiety inducing. With that being said, there is a new festival this year that is making me jump with excitement.

Hopscotch, set in Downtown Raleigh, N.C., happens on September 9 through 11. It is the first year for the festival. Not only is it in early fall (allowing the summer heat and humidity to burn off a bit), it mimics SXSW’s use of multiple venues downtown. It boasts 120 bands and tickets at all venues are just $85 (VIP tickets are $120, but completely sold out).

The line-up features nationally known acts, as well as local up-and-comers. Here’s an added bonus- Public Enemy is headlining! Fortunately, I have family whom live in the area and I will be in attendance. Bands that never disappoint that are playing the festival include Broken Social Scene, No Age, Panda Bear and Atlas Sounds. Also scheduled to perform are Akron/Family, Best Coast, Harvey Milk, The Love Language, Bowerbirds, The Rosebuds, and Woods.
You can check out a full roster here.

Who booked this festival?? Ten points for you, my friend!

Hopscotch’s website has one of the best festival maps I have seen. With nine venues and two outdoor City Plaza shows are all in walking distance from one another, but there are bus routes along the way.

Hopscotch is put on by the area’s Independent Weekly . They are partnering with The Raleigh City Museum, who will be offering a free cultural series throughout that week. Additionally, a portion of the proceeds from the festival will go to the Women’s Center of Wake County.

While I in no way, shape, or form am wishing the summer away, I am sincerely cannot wait for this festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment