Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Type of Inspiration

A few weeks back I spotlighted the work of Brooklyn designer and illustrator Jon Contino, whose lettering work really inspired me to open the sketchbook and experiment with hand-drawn type. Well, I stumbled upon another Brooklyn designer/illustrator recently, Dan Cassaro (aka Young Jerks), whose work is equally inspiring. Like Contino, Cassaro specializes in hand-drawn lettering, which, I've discovered, is so much harder than it appears. While I've been to emulate their styles in my sketchbook, I realize that I lack advanced understanding about typography. It's some kind of hidden knowledge about kerning, serifs and attention to negative space that makes their lettering pop and gives their work that authentic quality.


I'll continue to study their approach and typography. In the meantime, check out Dan Cassaro's website. Also check out this awesome set of T-shirts, featuring hand-lettering by Jon Contino. Good gift idea ...

No comments:

Post a Comment